54 percent of ‘Lapsed’ OTT respondents plan to re-subscribe in the future, broadening market opportunities for providers
Singapore, June 17, 2019 - Brightcove Inc. (NASDAQ: BCOV), the leading global provider of cloud services for video, today published its annual Asia OTT TV market study, The 2019 Asia OTT Research Report, conducted with research partner YouGov, a global public opinion and data company. The study polled 9,000 participants across the following nine countries: Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.
The survey was designed to uncover insights into consumer preferences around OTT services, including subscription tiers and motivators driving subscriptions; how much consumers are willing to pay; their tolerance to advertising and ad-supported subscriptions; and openness to a shoppable TV experience post-programming. The report is co-sponsored by Evergent, a leading provider of cloud-based, user lifecycle management solutions for video service providers; and SpotX, a leading global video advertising and monetisation platform.
Key findings from the research include:
- 54 percent of ‘Lapsed’ respondents are planning to sign-up for OTT services again in the future, indicating there is a substantial opportunity to regain their business.
- Content was the main driver for respondents who subscribe to multiple OTT services. 43 percent do so because they want more content options, 39 percent do so to satisfy the content needs for an entire family, 35 percent stated wanting access to niche content and 36 percent stated due to content not being available on just one OTT service. 42 percent stated free trials and/or promotions as another key driver for multiple OTT service sign-ups.
- Thinking about the future, 30 percent of respondents in Asia want to pay nothing and watch ads as a trade-off to consuming content, while 21 percent elected to pay a lower fee with limited ads, and 14 percent would like to pay a higher fee to be free from advertisements.
- When asked how much respondents would be willing to pay for OTT services, 30 percent of respondents stated less than USD $1 per month, 24 percent would pay USD $1-$4 per month, and 20 percent would pay USD $5-$9 per month.
- The top three OTT service features most desirable by respondents were offline download (42 percent), access on mobile (38 percent) and using less mobile data when streaming (33 percent).
- When asked if respondents would be open to purchasing product as seen on an OTT program, 70 percent of Asian respondents were receptive to the idea of shoppable TV.
Greg Armshaw, Head of Sales, Asia at Brightcove, said, “The TV industry in Asia continues to be disrupted by a variety of OTT TV services and is shifting more to online video. It’s being defined by what the viewers want, how much they are willing to pay, and what kind of user experience viewers are demanding. There is a dearth of consumer research in this area and by uncovering country-specific consumer opinions and preferences about OTT services, we aim to provide insights and guidance to our customers. New and established media companies can benefit from this data and use it to shape their OTT strategies regardless of where they are in their journey.”
For analysis and more insight into the Asia OTT market, download the full report www.brightcove.com/ottasia2019.
Brightcove Inc. (NASDAQ:BCOV) is the leading global provider of powerful cloud solutions for managing, delivering, and monetising video experiences on every screen. A pioneering force in the world of online video since the company’s founding in 2004, Brightcove’s award-winning technology, unparalleled services, extensive partner ecosystem, and proven global scale have helped thousands of companies in over 70 countries achieve better business results with video. To learn more, visit www.brightcove.com.
YouGov is an international data and analytics group, offering opinion data derived from its highly participative panel of 6 million people worldwide. YouGov combines this continuous stream of data with its deep research expertise and broad industry experience into a systematic research and marketing platform. With 34 offices in 22 countries and panel members in 38 countries, YouGov has one of the world’s top ten international market research networks. For further information visit https://ap.yougov.com.
Radha K Raman