The iPad is coming and it's super easy to make sure your Brightcove account is ready. Here are the three easy steps:
(1) Confirm your account is set-up for Universal Delivery Service (UDS): this is the default setting for all Brightcove accounts. If you didn't ask us to change your settings, then you should be all set. You can also ask Support to confirm if you are unsure.
(2) Update your encoding settings: Apple's encoding recommendations for the iPad are slightly lower than our standard recommendations and therefore it's worth tweaking your default renditions to ensure they match Apple's recommendations. Just set your default renditions to:
- Cell VLow: h.264/Baseline, 400x300(224), 96kbps video, 48kbps audio, 15fps, 1 per 5 seconds, CBR
- Cell Low: h.264/Baseline, 400x300(224), 192kbps video, 48kbps audio, 15fps, 1 per 5 seconds, CBR
- Cell High/Desktop low: h.264/Baseline, 480x360(270), 448kbps video, 64kbps audio, Same as source FPS, 1 per second, VBR
- Desktop Medium: h.264/Main, 640x480(360), 672kbps video, 128kbps audio, Same as source FPS, 1 per second, VBR
- Desktop High: h.264/Main, 640x480(360), 1152kbps video, 128kbps audio, Same as source FPS, 1 per second, VBR
- Desktop VHigh: h.264/Main, 1280x960(720), 1672kbps video, 128kbps audio, Same as source FPS, 1 per second, VBR
- (Optional) preserve source as rendition if your content is h.264 and appropriately sized between 1800kbps and 3000kbps
Also, be sure to tell everyone who uploads into your Brightcove account to select "H.264" and "multiple renditions" when uploading. This will make sure your content plays back properly on any device.
(3) Tweak your player implementations: you'll want to add some custom code to support the iPad (HTML5), see here. This code will enable your players to switch from Flash to HTML5 when someone hits your site on the iPad. It's also worth noting that all Brightcove templates will automatically switch between Flash and HTML5 in the very near future. Ask your Account Manager for details.
If you get stuck, feel free to ask Support for help or send a note to your Account Manager.